Monday, September 6, 2004

Gusti Putri

After much hype I dragged my other half to watch PGL. Truly I enjoyed the movie but honestly (after reading so much about the cost) I could not find compelling justification for the RM15M++ expenditure. I was still sitting while the credits rolled and patrons jostled out from the theatre and although sated but a tinge of unsatisfied feeling for the execution. "Could have been better" while my other half said back to me, "okay le tu". My perfectionist instinct kicked in. Credits to Tiara for the effort though. In comparison I tend to be apologetic when watching Lang Buana (yes... ) but evenly satisfied seeing an effort with limited budget.
The setting for Istana Melaka, built from scratch, does not convey the feeling of grandness, in fact it is empty all the time. (having involved with building of Istana Melawati does put me in quandary) The walls were too brownish fake and the motifs too little. The Gusti's Karaton also lacks character and the common bond brick wall is too glaring to be ignored.
I gave high marks for the dialogs. What surprised me was that I eagerly await patiently and all ears each time Datuk Bendahara (Rahim Razali) opens his mouth to speak. Such deep meanings as if hearing the Jedi Master speaks. The fight scene made me cringed due to its uncharacteristic used of explosion. The place where Hang Tuah 'disgraced' himself by the river banks need to be clear of footmarks before shooting. Again these little things here and there needs attention to make it worthy of International audiences.
I think I want to go and see the film once again (surprise!) just to hear once again Rahim Razali's dialogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment