Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Teaching Stint

How is it like to be a teacher? Well, I had my time (2 months exactly) as part time teacher for my former primary school. I taught standard two. The first day I reported for work I got myself acquainted with the teachers in the teachers room. All the male teachers warned me of to look 'baik' instead must look like a lion just out of the cage! But I disagree, paid the small price of minor annoyances of 8 years old much to my horror and the teachers glee. So instead of really teach them the books, I took them into a short journey of my life experiences. I impressed on them my view of the world and encouraged these kids to think instead of regurgitate from the textbook. I admitted I didn't enjoyed it - I lost my voice after the third day. But as days gone by, I could sense a new vigor in these kids eyes. There was this 'naughty' kid who made the loudest noise and never seemed to do his work at all and most days I would punished him by standing on the chair (to the horror of the HM when she walked by! - I didn't know standing on the chair was no longer allowed then though it was a standard punishment during my time.) However, a week before my last days teaching at the school, I had to attend a job interview therefore I took a day off. The next day, this same kid came to my desk and blurted - "Cikgu? Mana engkau pergi semalam? Aku rindu sama cikgu..." The last week of my short teaching career was the most satisfying moment (so far) of my working life. To that kid, who would be 21 by now, wherever you are - Godspeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment