Saturday, April 7, 2007

One Upmanship Game

I was having woefully days since the site 'closed-down' order by the consultant. I am not going to get into the itsy-bitsy details of it but personally I would think my consultant bungle-up big-time and is trying to make-up their initial deficiencies at the onset of this project.
On lighter note, this whole episode has made some of my fellow colleagues realised how inter-departmental dependencies was there for a reason. The sentence that I was used to hear - "no one can tell me what I can or cannot do" and "don't be more Christian than the Pope" or "in house acting consultant" when trying to point out my concern on some questionable practices now rang hollow. Added to the most ubiquitous mantra "This is how things get done, here!"
However, this incident took the whole cake.
We were having a walk-around of the site to identify the safety and quality issues that are impeding the works progress. As we were nearing the end of the walk-around with the consultants and the PMCs, someone queried in a light-hearted manner that being a Malaysian entity, were these the normal standard of quality to be expected in Malaysia generally? As the question was posed to the highest rank managers which happened to be non-Malaysian and have never worked there, they redirected the task of answering it to me. In my most diplomatic smile I retorted that these kind of quality was also not acceptable and should not have gone past first floor level of construction. However I could sensed that my honest assessment was not taken too likely by my non-Malaysian superiors and other multinational (from a specific country).
After the walk-around ended, one of the multinationals (whom I would love to have a banter with) came to me to show his displeasure of my 'low blows'.
"If Malaysian constructions were of high quality like you said, how was it possible that in the movie Entrapment starred by Sir Sean Connery and Catherine Zeta Jones, there was a scene when the a lady pulled down a ceiling panel and the entire floor ceiling fell down with the wires and ducts dangling down?" in his most animated manner.
Suffice to say, I proved my point!

No comments:

Post a Comment