Friday, April 20, 2007

Blacksburg vs Ijok

During my elapsed work time this last few days, I can't help but search for the latest news coming from between these two places. One made world headlines and the other, well sort of deserves another headline category. Tragic news from Blacksburg a plenty! So does Ijok (tragic?). I am not going to add more to any of those news nor comment, but merely my reminiscent of that word Ijok.
His name is Ashadi (I think that's what I could recall, its been nearly 27 years). We called him Ijok, simply because he is from that town. We were in boarding hostel operated by Yayasan Selangor. A very affable fellow with wide grin. Although he has a slight gait to his steps (I was told he has polio when he was small toddler), he beats me in pingpong, times and times. Not just pingpong, he also beats me in carrom. Luckily I can match him at badminton - well obviously thats not a fair game to him! Oh by the way he is a Javanese descent (can't doubt that!)
Each time the name Ijok crops up, he is the first thing that came to my mind. Funny how we tend to associate names to places. Sometimes I wonder if I had to acquire another acquiantance from Ijok later on would Ashadi's face be replaced from my subconscious memory pages?
To Ashadi from Ijok, if you still live there, wherever you are, don't forget to vote.
ps.
BTW, I almost forgot, Badrulhisham from Batang Berjuntai - well this one deserve another story. And also Annuar from Sg Choh, who introduced me to Rubik Cubes solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment